Panurbana 054 St. Nicolaasbasiliek
If magnifying glass does not appear, reload the page.
collage: 9 photos
format: 120 x 80 cm
Sint Nicolaas is the patron saints of sailors and prostitutes, the Sint Nicolaas church
is located exactly between the IJ and the red light district.
The church was designed by A.C. Bleys (1842-1912) and dedicated on February 7, 1887.
The name Sint Nicolaas refers to Nicholas of Myra, a bishop from the 4th century better known
as Sinter Klaas the childhood friend who brings presents on December 5th.
In a niche at the top of the facade is the statue of Saint Nicholas made by the sculptor Bart van Hove (1850-1914).
In 2012, a new altar of Belgian natural stone was placed with a bronze base in which
the Miracle of Amsterdam is incorporated. In 2012, Sint Nicolaaskerk was elevated to a basilica.