Panurbana 046 Wertheimpark
If magnifying glass does not appear, reload the page.
Panurbana 046 wertheimpark
collage: 12 photos
format: 100 x 100 cm
The Wertheimpark, formerly Parktuin (1812), is the oldest park in Amsterdam.
The Parktuin is named in 1898 after the banker, politician, art lover and philanthropist Abraham Carl Wertheim (1832-1897).
The park entrance has a gate with two lantern-bearing sphinxes, during or after World War II, the sphinxes had disappeared without a trace.
Today’s sphinxes are marble copies of the early nineteenth century originals that were in zinc or bronze.
The replicas were made by Hans’ t Mannetje (former student and performer of Hildo Krop).
In the park is a natural stone fountain with a portrait of A.C. Wertheim designed by the architect Jonas Ingenohl in 1898.
And the Auschwitz monument monument “Broken mirrors” designed by Jan Wolkers in 1993.