Panurbana 63 Johan Cruijff ArenA
If magnifying glass does not appear, reload the page.
Panurbana 63 John Cruijff ArenA
collage: 26 photos
format: 150 x 75 cm
After its foundation in 1900, the Ajax football club played on a field in Amsterdam Noord.
In 1907 the club moved to the Watergraafsmeer, which was still an undeveloped polder at the time.
The nearby café Brokelmann was used as a dressing room.
In 1911 Ajax was the first club in the Netherlands to have a wooden covered stand,
in popular parlance this was called: "the wooden stadium”.
Due to the many successes, the club was looking for a new and larger accommodation.
Ajax moved to Betondorp where on December 9, 1934 the new "stadium de Meer" was officially opened.
A stone stadium that could seat 22,000 spectators, Ajax played a total of 953 matches.
In 1996 it moved to the new stadium "Amsterdam ArenA”.
It has 55,500 seats and has a movable roof.
On April 25, the stadium’s name was changed to Johan Cruijff ArenA.