Panurbana 76 Metz & co


If magnifying glass does not appear, reload the page.


Panurbana 76 Metz & co

collage: 12  photos

format: 140 x 140 cm 

Amsterdam 2021


Moses Samuels settled in the Jodenbreestraat in 1740 and sold French silk fabrics and ribbons.

From 1776 he called himself Moses Samuels Metz (after his birthplace Metz).

In 1908 Metz established his shop in the “New York” building on the Leidsestraat corner Keizersgracht. 

Building “New York” was designed by architect J. van Looy (1852-1911) for New York Life Insurance. 

Above the entrance are the letters N and Y and on the top floor an eagle with the American flag, witnesses

of the first occupant. Metz & co specialized in textiles, handicraft products and furniture from well-known designers. 

In 1933 Gerrit Rietveld designed the steel and glass dome with a beautiful view over the city. 

At the end of 1988, the loss-making department store was sold to an investment company.