Panurbana 79 beurs van Berlage



If magnifying glass does not appear, reload the page.


Panurbana 79 beurs van Berlage

collage: 22  photos

format: 150 x 150 cm 

Amsterdam 2021

In 1611 the first trading center was designed by Hendrick de Keyser (1565-1621) and opened on the Rokin. 

This is where the first shares of the East India Company (VOC) were traded. 

From 1845 to 1903, trade was conducted in the stock exchange designed by 

Jan David Zocher Jr (1791-1817), but it became too small. 

Petrus Berlage (1856-1934) designed the new merchant’s exchange as a gesambtkunstwerk. 

Engineers, visual artists and a poet worked together on one whole. 

On May 27, 1903, the new merchant exchange was opened by Queen Wilhelmina. 

Berlage wanted to give the building the function of a ‘palazzo pubblico', 

a palace for everyone where community and art come together. 

The building is now used as a center for exhibitions, conferences and other gatherings.