Panurbana 074 Amsterdams tehuis voor arbeiders
If magnifying glass does not appear, reload the page.
Amsterdams tehuis voor arbeiders
collage: 25 photos
format: 160 x 100 cm
Due to the great housing shortage in Amsterdam, single workers were dependent
on boarders and lived for high rents in small rooms in attics or cellars.
On September 5, 1918, the 'Amsterdam Home for (unmarried)
workers' was opened by Mayor J.W.C. Tellegen (1859-1921).
The home designed by the architect Jan Ernst van der Pek (1865-1919) had
350 single bedrooms measuring 2.20 by 3.10 meters.
Each room had a bed, a table with light and a cupboard.
The residents were monitored by five home inspectors for 'the correct use of the homes’
and raised to be model tenants,
There was a communal dining room, coffee room and a soup kitchen.
In later years the home no longer met the needs of the residents.
The building was thoroughly renovated in 1975, the 350 small rooms
were converted into 171 residences.
The ex-State Secretary for Urban Renewal Jan Schaefer (1940-1994)
opened the new building in 1977.