Panurbana 075 Blauwe theehuis

If magnifying glass does not appear, reload the page.

Panurbana 075 Blauwe theehuis

collage: 6  photos

format: 110 x 70 cm 

Amsterdam 2021

The 'Swiss Tea House' was opened in 1928. 

The building in the middle of the Vondelpark was built by the architects 

Herman Baanders (1876-1953) and Jan Baanders (1884-1966). 

The building burned completely down in 1936 due to a fire in the thatched roof. 

In the same year, the Baander brothers designed a building on the same spot 

in the style of 'New Objectivity' the Dutch interpretation of 'Bauhaus’. 

The round concrete building has 2 floors and resembles a flying saucer. 

The owner of the 'Blue Tea House' lived in the living area on the top floor of the building. 

In 1977 he was found dead in his home, probably the victim of a robbery 

with a fatal outcome, the murder case has never been solved. 

Today the building houses a cafe with a large terrace belonging to a local Amsterdam beer brewer.