Panurbana 079 Heinekenhoek

If magnifying glass does not appear, reload the page.

Panurbana 079 Heinekenhoek

collage: 17 photos
format: 125 x 90 cm

Amsterdam 2021

The Leidseplein dates from 1660 and is named after the Leidsepoort. 

The Leidsepoort was one of the eight gateways to Amsterdam which was part of the fortifications. 

The square was a parking lot for carts and wagons of visitors from outside the city. 

The stadschouwburg and many entertainment venues and terraces make it a popular nightlife square in the city. 

From 1900 to 1980, police station No. 14 was located in the middle of the square.

Since 1985, the Bulldog coffee shop has been housed here. 

Next to the coffee shop was the Heinekenhoek with an illuminated advertisement

of two moving Heineken glasses on the roof. 

The building has to make way for a 4-star hotel with 6 floors.