Panurbana 084 Mozes en Aäronkerk
If magnifying glass does not appear, reload the page.
Moses en Aaron kerk
collage: 15 photos
format: 140 x 130 cm
In 1641 there was a Catholic hidden church
on this location named "in the house of Moyses”.
At that time the entrance was at the rear of the Jodenbreestraat.
The old hidden church was replaced in 1891 by the current building.
The architect was the Belgian Tieleman Franciscus Suys (1783-1861),
The formal official name of the church is Saint Anthony of Padua.
Both the statue of Christ on the porch and the sculpture of Francis of Assisi
were made by Belgian sculptor Jan Baptist de Cuyper (1807-1852).
In front of the church is a cart covered with tarpaulin containing
merchandise from the flea market.
A memorial stone has been placed on the side of the church in memory
of the victims of the December murders in Suriname,
Paramaribo 8 and 9 December 1982