Panurbana 122 Telegraafgebouw
If magnifying glass does not appear, reload the page.
collage: 14 photos
format: 150 x 120 cm
The Telegraaf building on the Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal was designed by
Jan Frederik Staal (1879-1940) (also Panurbana 60) and Gerard Langhout (1879-1962).
The newspaper's editorial and printing works were located in the building.
At the top of the tower, 45 meters high, there are 4 bronze statues of
newspaper sellers, they are the newsboys or the town criers.
The statues were made by sculptor Hildo Krop (1884-1970).
After the 2nd World War, the Telegraaf issued a 30-year ban on pro-German reporting.
After four years, the ban was lifted and De Telegraaf was allowed to appear again.
In 1974 De Telegraaf moved to the western harbor area
and the statues were placed in the hall of the new building.
From 1985 to 2017, the Kasbank was located in the old newspaper building,
nowadays ‘Guerrilla’ the largest game developer in the Netherlands.