Panurbana 115 Oost-Indisch Huis
If magnifying glass does not appear, reload the page.
collage: 13 photos
format: 130 x 120 cm
The Oost-Indisch Huis in Amsterdam was the headquarters of the
Verenigde ‘Oost-Indische Compagnie’ (VOC).
It was the first building that was built especially for the VOC in 1606.
This is where the board of the VOC met, the archives and sea maps were
kept and also the ship's crews were recruited.
The new crew members had to embark at the Montelbaanstoren on small boats that took
them to the ships that were ready for departure at Texel.
The Dutch East India Company (1602-1800) was the only Dutch company
allowed to trade with the East Indies.
It was the first company in the world to issue shares to a wide public and is referred
to as the world's first multinational.
Today the building is part of the University of Amsterdam.