Panurbana 172 brouwhuis Heineken

If magnifying glass does not appear, reload the page.

Panurbana 172

brouwhuis Heineken

Amsterdam Atlas

collage: 10 photos

format: 120 x 90 cm

On February 15, 1864, Gerard Adriaan Heineken (1841-1893) took over the Hooiberg brewery
(see Panurbana 156) and changed the name to the company Heineken & Co.
Due to the filling in of the Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal, it was decided to move the brewery
to a meadow on the edge of the city (now the Pijp) on the Stadhouderskade.
The brewery was built directly opposite the Heineken villa that Gerard Adriaan Heineken
had built in 1891 (see Panurbana 55) so that he had a nice view of his own beer brewery.
The brewhouse was designed by architect Arie Heederik (1862-1937).
The building is a six-storey high building with a large tile tableau on the facade
with the name of the brewery. To the left of the brewhouse is the former silo (1925) f
or storing malt and to the right is the cold store (1934).
Beer production ended in 1988. Today the building is a visitor center,
where you can learn about the history of Heineken.